View: 135|Reply: 2

[Help!] Recording question

[Copy Link]

Threads

Credits

HobbYIst

Credits
Posted at 12-29-2017 23:56:20 | All floors |Read mode
So I just got the Yi Home Camera 2 for XMAS and have been playing around with it for a day now and can't quite figure out something...or maybe I just need some confirmation with this...

If I set it to record only for motion detection, it should only record this motion on my inserted SD card.  But how come it seems to be recording all the time on my SD card even though there is no motion being detected??  I can see that my SD storage space is gradually decreasing with time suggesting that it is 'full time recording' even though there is no motion in my custom set range. Yet, watching some Youtube videos the reviewers all say you can either record continuously OR only when there is only detection of motion.

Anyways, just seeking some clarification -- if anyone can shed some light on this that would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

HobbYIst

Credits
Posted at 1-3-2018 12:29:49 From mobile phones | All floors
It seems to be caused by the most recent upgrade. This is not how its suppsed to work. Mine starting doing this also.
Reply Pro Con

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

HobbYIst

Credits
 Author| Posted at 1-5-2018 11:56:26 | All floors
UPDATE! I think I figured this out (see above for my initial question). Here's my attempt to explain it in case others were wondering:

The camera does indeed appear to work as advertised in that it will record when 'activity' is detected. My confusion originally was that I thought it would only record when there was 'activity' detected in my 'specified activity region' (that red square area). I originally assumed incorrectly that the camera recorded full time. If that was the case, the playback timeline should have been a solid orange. But it wasn't, there were random gaps of non-orange throughout and I had no idea why. During the day the playback bar was more a solid orange than during the night and into the early hours of the morning. Upon further examination, I took a look at some of those recorded footages (the solid orange) during the early mornings and realized something was constant.  In each of those random clips in the early mornings were cars passing by on the street at the corner of my camera screen.  My camera is pointed down at my driveway but because of the wide camera view it picks up this side street. Thus during the day when there are constant moving cars driving on that street, the camera will infact record on my SD card.  So even though there is no 'activity' in my specified region (set to my driveway area), but because there is activity in the 'camera view'--it will record onto the SD card! And of course I will still get notification alerts when activity is detected on my driveway but not when the cars are moving on that street.

Hope this makes sense!  
Reply Pro Con

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list