View: 162|Reply: 3

[Review] Only 6 second alarms and other issues

[Copy Link]

Threads

Credits

HobbYIst

Credits
Posted at 5-16-2017 05:16:21 | All floors |Read mode
The YI Dome only alarms 6 secs of video ĘC are you serious? What if the burglar is working on my terrace door, the camera detects it through the glass, but he takes a couple of seconds longer before entering. And lets say he sees the camera and steels/destroys it. What good is an alert if I can't see his face after he enters? And where do I manage the highres videos stored on the SD card? I have to extract the SSD for that?

I was seriously thinking of buying several cameras, because I like the quality of the camera, stability of the p2p app and the motion tracking. However, if I cannot see more than 6 sec alarms and cannot browse the SD card without removing it, the camera is going back to Amazon. Sorry guys, maybe a future version.

In that version I would love to see:
- store alarm videos of custom length in a safe place!
- a browser interface! I don't always have the smartphone near me!
- sound alerts other than baby cries (my dog does not bark like a baby yet)
- connect a LAN cable - Wifi is not always strong/fast enough!
- safely store the files on a NAS drive
- onVIF interface, streaming options
- store previous 3 secs of an alarm

I know some of these wishes conflict with your cloud business, but maybe you should concentrate on improving one of the best cameras on the market instead of trying to make a few extra bucks and scaring people like me off. If you fix some of the issues, I will buy at least 3 of them.

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Posted at 5-17-2017 02:33:27 | All floors
Hi, thanks for your suggestion. 6 second is only for alerts and once you get the alerts you can go check real time footage on your phone. We'll take into consideration of all your other suggestions, thank you so much
Reply Pro Con

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

HobbYIst

Credits
 Author| Posted at 5-17-2017 06:04:56 | All floors
After more testing I came across another problem: Lights on/off are considered motion which triggers an alarm. Most cameras have this problem, but in YI case this even disrupts the motion tracking.

Example 1: I have a motion-switched lamp. The lamp turns on if someone moves in a range of 20m of the lamp. This triggers the Cam alarm, even though the person never enters the visual field. I can live with that, however if the lamp automatically turns off after 5 minutes, the alarm is triggered again, causing several minutes of totally useless SD card footage. The lamp is triggered even if a bird flies past, so I get lots of meaningless footage and fail alarms.

Example 2: a person enters the room at night and turns on the TV (or a flashlight). This causes flickering on the walls and furniture. The camera then follows the flickering, and not the real movement (person, burglar). It should be easy by software to distinguish between a lighting change and a moving object.

This bring me to an idea: why don't you add infrared motion detectors to the camera sides (left, right, back), instead of trying to detect motion only through visual analysis? This way you could initially turn the lens to the detected motion and then continue with the visual motion analysis. This is probably an easy and cheap addition, but would catapult the camera into a higher league. Moreover: If the camera is not set to patrouille between defined positions, then a burglar could easily escape detection if he stays behind the camera, ie outside of the visual field.

Can you give me a short feedback if this can be fixed soon and deployed through firmware update? I would then stick with the camera and give you more feedback. If you need someone to test, I'm a professional in the field of digital imaging software development.

Henning Kuersten
http://www.3p-publisher.com
Reply Pro Con

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

HobbYIst

Credits
 Author| Posted at 5-17-2017 18:17:19 | All floors
Some more extremely annoying issues (correct me if I'm missing something):

- I cannot pause the playback video in order to zoom into the face of someone

- I cannot copy a sequence from SD to mobile phone in order to secure it, unless I record it in realtime. So if a burglar is caught on SD, I have to wait to get back home in order to access the SD, or record the playback redundantly on the phone (thus always in danger of losing the sequence if the cam is detected).

- I cannot define times during the day where the cam is NOT recording. I can only choose "record always" or "record only on motion", but I cannot choose "don't record". This means I am recording people I don't want to (or even shouldn't) record, and the history depth of the SD card is crunched unnecessarily

- the motion detection could be more reliable and sensitive. There's false detection of lights on/off (false positive, see above), and there's cases where there's actually motion, but the camera moves away from the subject (false negative).

- when the camera is set to "only record on motion", I cannot define the recording length once the motion has stopped. So I always have 1 minute of useless video at the end of a detected motion.

Even though I really like the camera and the timeline software feature, the above issues are kill criteria for me and I have to return the camera, heavy hearted. But I will keep an eye on YI and see what happens in the near future. Some of the issues could be easily integrated into the software, and I'm very surprised that the developers missed them.

Can you tell me if some of these issues will be fixed/added in the near future?
Reply Pro Con

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

This forum Credits Rules

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list